AC.productions - The Zen of Serving Web Pages -
Nine Aspects of a Web Log Entry - Result Code
Web Server Know How © 2003 Christian Treber
What is is.
The result code as returned by the web server (RFC 2616).
What it says.
It tells you how the processing of the request went. The codes are grouped
- 1xx "Informational" (more result codes might follow)
- 2xx "Successful" (the document has been sent)
- 3xx "Redirection" (the document has not been sent, and the browser
gets instructed to load a different URL instead)
- 4xx "Client Error" (the document can't be sent because i.e. it does
- 5xx "Server error" (the document can't be sent because the server
has a bad time)
What may cause trouble.
The question is which log entries should make into which reports?
When you're looking at hits, should that include URLs that couldn't
be served (client or server error)? Or how about redirections: should
hits appear under the originial URL? The redirected URL? Bodth?